28 February 2013
Philippines photo correspondent attacked by Davao City policemen
Media Release: Philippines
February 28, 2013
The International Federation of Journalists joins its affiliate the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP) in condemning the attack on Karlos Manlupig, of the Philippine Daily Inquirer by six policemen on February 27.
Manlupig, a photojournalist and correspondent with the Philippine
Daily Inquirer was mauled by at least six policemen while he was covering a
protest by Typhoon Pablo victims at the Department of Social Welfare and
Development (DSWD) at its regional office in Davao City.
Manlupig said at least six policemen hit him with truncheons in the head, arms and other parts of his body and shoved him using anti-riot shields following a violent dispersal of protestors.
Manlupig said the policemen approached him inside the DSWD compound while he was interviewing one of the protesters arrested by police and accused him of being biased and taking photos of only the protestors who had been hurt.
Manlupig said that he had identified himself as a member of the press to the police and also explained to them that he had obtained both sides of the story, but the police ignored his explanation.
“This assault highlights the blatant disregard for the important role played by the media in upholding democracy. Journalists in the Philippines have the right to exercise their duties free from reprisals and intimidation,” IFJ Asia-Pacific Director Jacqueline Park said.
We call upon the government of the Philippines to investigate this assault and bring the perpetrators to justice.
For further information contact IFJ Asia-Pacific on +61 2 9333 0950
The IFJ represents more than 600,000 journalists in 131 countries
Find the IFJ on Twitter: @ifjasiapacific
Find the IFJ on Facebook: www.facebook.com/IFJAsiaPacific